Parklife 2017 - Hits and Misses

by - July 24, 2017

So this summer, the boyf and I ventured to Parklife festival for the first time. Keeping in mind that Oli and I have a VERY different music taste, this seemed like the perfect festival to attend with indie for me and grime and hip hop for Ol (I'm sure his list would be very different).

So first, the hits:

George Ezra
Although I'd heard of 'Budapest' I wasn't Ezra's biggest fan, but he was on early in the day when there wasn't much else to do so we thought we'd see what all the fuss was about. His set was more chilled out than most, but it was quite nice to have a little sway to an acoustic guitar rather than to be flung into a mosh pit. I also realised I knew more of his songs than I first thought, which was an unexpected bonus.

Stormzy
Whether you like grime or not, Stormzy sets are always so energetic its almost impossible not to get caught up in it. The small tent was packed with people even crowding outside, which made the atmosphere even better. Although I think it was a bit cringe that he did his cover of  shape of you, it gave me something to sing to when I knew very few of his own songs.

And then the misses:

Frank Ocean
I know this might be controversial, and I'm sure a lot of people would argue otherwise.. But I was not impressed with Frank's set. I love his music and his vibe as a person, but when he had to re-start 'Solo' 5 times I got impatient. This was after he was half an hour late to his set time. Also, because he had arty-farty hand held camera shots, the signal kept cutting out and because we weren't lucky enough to get close to the stage it was a bit irritating.

A Tribe Called Quest
These are only a miss because I'm just a little bit salty they didn't turn up. I understand that one of the members had an injury and fair enough. But Parklife failed to announce that they weren't playing, sneakily took them off the line up and replaced them with Run the Jewels - who aren't even nearly on the same level. Honestly both me and Ol were really excited to see Tribe, and it was one of the main reasons we bought tickets to the festival in the first place.. shame on you Parklife.




You May Also Like

0 comments